Welcome

Thanks for visiting my blog. I plan on using this to post updates on what's happening while I'm serving with Engineering Ministries International (eMi) in Uganda. The plan is to post weekly. Additionally, I plan on sending a monthly newsletter via email. If you want to be added to the newsletter list, please email me at jeremy.hodel@gmail.com. We'll see how this goes... Thanks for your prayers and support.

Friday, March 7, 2008

How Great Is Our God? No Really, I'm Asking.

You may not be able to find clean drinking water, but at least airtime is readily available...

Feels kind of weird saying it, but things got back to "normal" after my return from the project trip. Yeah, I'm definitely starting get situated here in Kampala, but I'm sure that becoming acquainted with the culture is a process that will continue for my whole time here. There are some things I just love about Uganda, and some things that really get on my nerves. My net impression is positive, though.

The past week was relatively uneventful. After rebounding from the trip, I'd like to share some of my reflections. As I looked back over my time in Ngenge, one thing that really stuck out to me was how the people of the communities and the clergy in the diocese had such a confident faith in God and his ability to provide for them. There were several times as a team that we declared something to be unfeasible or unreasonable. "Come on, lets be realistic." (you know how we reasonable and objective people think - lets face the facts and deal with them) But that's the thing. Sometimes God isn't reasonable. Sometimes he comes through when the obstacles seem overwhelming. That's exactly what the folks here are expecting. It's not that they're sweeping anything under the rug, or trying to avoid confrontation with the brutal facts. No, it's just that their God is big. Yeah, their God is the one who we read about in the Bible. That God who created the universe. The one whose son healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, and raised people from the dead. For us their situation may appear bleak , but these people were full of hope. They have big faith. I think their faith comes out of necessity. They have no other option. They are dependent on God, completely. I feel like this is a far cry from where I am.

I have to wonder if I believe in that same God as them. As I was preparing to come to Uganda, I was thinking a lot about dependence on God, and that he wants us to rely on him. I feel like much of what I do, without realization, is an attempt to establish a level of comfortable security independent of God. I've got my hedge built for the stormy weather. Fine, but is God my hedge, or is he only a last resort if my other devices fail? Here I go thinking out loud again...

Ezra 8:21-23 is what initiated my thoughts about this whole "dependence issue" before I came here, so check it out and feel free to comment - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

(By the way, thanks to everyone who has posted comments already. I really enjoy reading them, and it's great to know that you're keeping up with my saga. Don't forget to email me with prayer requests if you have anything you would like me to pray for.)

1 comment:

Jim and Marge said...

Jer,
Love your posts - makes me feel like I'm right there too. God IS big and the Africans put their trust completely in Him. Keep up the good job you are doing. Love and prayers, Marge