Welcome

Thanks for visiting my blog. I plan on using this to post updates on what's happening while I'm serving with Engineering Ministries International (eMi) in Uganda. The plan is to post weekly. Additionally, I plan on sending a monthly newsletter via email. If you want to be added to the newsletter list, please email me at jeremy.hodel@gmail.com. We'll see how this goes... Thanks for your prayers and support.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Keepin' it Country

This is where I belong

Well, not too much news to report on this week. Once again, I spent much of the week at the development site managing the excavation and now the trench digging. Overall, things went smoothly; that or I'm just getting used to things never going as planned or hoped. Still, I was pretty satisfied with the work that was accomplished.

God has still been teaching me about compassion. I suppose this might be one of those life-long lessons. This week I had another experience in misunderstanding (due to a combination of cultural differences, language differences, and economic differences), which this time resulted in several of the workers (whom I had become friends with) going hungry for most of a day. "Economic differences" is a euphemism for me being clueless to the fact that they were out of money and thus unable to buy any food, even though they tried to asking me for help. My mind refused to accept the fact that they couldn't provide for themselves. Once that finally registered, I felt awful, and tried to remedy my mistake.

The economic differences I've witnessed here are staggering. Even after being in this country for about five months, my first response to needs seems to be one of skepticism. I must admit, this is in part due to the frequency of encounters with con men. Regardless, I've still got a lot to learn.
Part of the 2.3 km trench we're digging for the installation of a pipeline for water supply to the development from a natural spring.

I've been receiving some news about the current events and natural disasters from back home. Sounds like Africa isn't the only continent with problems. That's a good reminder for me. I'll be prayerful for you all.

1 comment:

Blake said...

J-Bones, i'm prayin for ya as your time in Uganda comes to a close, i know it's not easy to think about leaving, but God is so good and i know you've had an awesome experience. look forward to hearin more about it. love ya man, and am praying.