Welcome

Thanks for visiting my blog. I plan on using this to post updates on what's happening while I'm serving with Engineering Ministries International (eMi) in Uganda. The plan is to post weekly. Additionally, I plan on sending a monthly newsletter via email. If you want to be added to the newsletter list, please email me at jeremy.hodel@gmail.com. We'll see how this goes... Thanks for your prayers and support.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Changing Gears

That's me receiving a gift from Arise Africa's assistant director, Lilian. Wonder what it was? You'll have to wait and see.

I could give you the details of my experiences during my last week in Jinja, but quite honestly I'm getting a little tired of writing about them and I suspect you're getting tired of reading about them too.

Since this is gonna be my last post from Uganda, I'll do some reflecting instead. To summarize the heart of my midterm reflections from my April 4 post, at that time I was concerned about slipping into a comfortable and pleasant leisurely state of existence, which from the outside looked great and was sure to impress people ("hey, did you hear Jeremy's in Uganda? Wow!") but in reality was completely empty. I could feel the gravity from the black hole of self pulling me in that direction. However, I think God answered my prayers, giving me just the transition I needed to stay outside the event horizon (in keeping with the black hole analogy). While I loved my time when I was here in Kampala and wouldn't trade it for anything else if given the chance, I think God used my time in Jinja and Bukaleba to teach me, grow me, and challenge me a lot more. Not surprisingly, then, I would absolutely say my time during the second half of my internship had more difficulties - more uncomfortable situations, more problems, more struggles. Indeed, it seems these are just the circumstances which are most conducive to spiritual growth (Jam 1:2-4). So, I guess to bring some closure to my midterm reflections, I thank God that he did effectively pull me away from complacency, giving me an atmosphere of new challenges to face. I'm not saying that complacency wasn't still a struggle, but on the whole the latter part of my internship was a significant improvement from the first part.

At the thank you/going away tea party AAI held for me on Thursday, 0ne comment made by someone from the AAI staff really stuck with me. Ever since then, I've been pondering the passage in Luk 12:48b: "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more." If there's one thing that I've learned from being in Uganda (certainly there are many things I've learned here), it is that I've been given much. I've been given much material wealth. I've been given much education. I've been given much ability. I've been given much skill. I really hope that doesn't sound proud, because I only want to acknowledge the blessings God has endowed to me. Just like Abraham, I've been blessed, but God has (as he did with Abraham) a greater purpose than simply blessing me. I've been blessed to be a blessing (Gen 12:1-3).

As I leave Africa (at least for now :)), I want to hold on to that lesson. The expectations are high. I can't say I didn't have the opportunity, the education, the ability, or the skill. God has given me all of these generously. It's now a matter of putting them to good use. This chapter of my life is coming to a close, but it's only a transition to the next. What that will be and how it will look I don't know, but I do know that I've got a calling and purpose to fulfill.

I'll probably add another post after I arrive home to wrap everything up (still got two days left here) but it's not going to hurt to say this twice: THANK YOU! Thanks to all of you who joined me in this amazing journey. It has been such a privilege to be the person on this side of the keyboard, getting to experience it all first hand. I hope you benefited from the ride as much as I have. I don't have to hope that you were able to contribute. That much is already given. Thanks so much for all of your support whether it be through finances, prayer, or encouragement. While for this time, my position may have been in the spotlight, everyone played a essential role in making it happen.

I intend to host some sort of gathering to share some of my experiences, photos, videos, etc. sometime after I get home. You are all most definitely invited. As soon as the plans are made, I'll post it on this blog.

No comments: