Welcome

Thanks for visiting my blog. I plan on using this to post updates on what's happening while I'm serving with Engineering Ministries International (eMi) in Uganda. The plan is to post weekly. Additionally, I plan on sending a monthly newsletter via email. If you want to be added to the newsletter list, please email me at jeremy.hodel@gmail.com. We'll see how this goes... Thanks for your prayers and support.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wrap-up

Well, I'm home. My departure and finally my arrival home was one of those surreal experiences. I kept having to convince myself that it was really over and I was going home. It was really hard to say goodbye, but it was actually less emotional than I expected. Probably the most emotional part was at the eMi going away party and when I was climbing the stairs to board the plane. My ascent was like in slow motion or something, "N-0-0-0-0-0-0-0! I can't be leave already!"

But in spite of my hesitancy about going home, I was sure looking forward to returning and beginning the next phase in my life (more on that later).

Before I left, I had some cool experiences. I got one last shot at authentic Ugandan food when I was invited to a pastor's house to eat with his family on Sunday afternoon. It was delicious! You may recall me writing about the difficulty I had with dealing with the crippled people on the streets of Kampala. It's been a major issue of conscience, but I never really knew what to do. Saturday I had a neat experience. I had a little free time in the afternoon, so I went downtown, bought some roasted corn and bananas and start looking for recipients. The ironic thing was, the one time I was intentionally trying to find them, they all seemed to be M.I.A. Finally, I was able to distribute the goods, and everyone received them warmly. I tried striking up conversations, but they all had very broken English, at best. Afterwards I was trying to figure out why I hadn't thought of that earlier. It was one of my most rewarding experiences while I was in Uganda. Granted, I had been in Jinja for the past few months, so I didn't really have an opportunity, but still it would have been a really cool thing to get in the habit of doing on a weekly basis or something. Maybe next time...

I'm working on getting a date to have some sort of presentation about my internship. It's been great to share it with you over the wire (or wave) but I look forward to sharing more with you in person. I'll let you all known when I figure it out.

I'm gonna take one last chance to say thank you. I'm still overwhelmed by the magnitude of the support that you all have shown me. Let me close in expressing my prayer for you all:

I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. (Eph 1:16-21)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome home!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeremy,
Glad you made it home safely. It is definitely not the same here. I keep thinking you are just up at Bukaleba, but then remember you are actually gone. I know God will bless you mightely for all you have done here.